Tuesday, August 5, 2008

O to Grace how great a debtor...

This is the opening line (On the third verse) to my favorite hymn, actually one of my favorite hymns... Be thou my vision is my favorite... anyway, last night after everyone left the scene, I had the chance to pray and reflect on not only my personal issues/struggles but having listened to others issues/struggles, God kept bringing this song back to my mind, and what began as somewhat solemn, down-trodden prayer morphed into to praise... praise to a God that has shown so much mercy and grace.... If you have not heard the song "Come thou fount" you have truly missed out... I found myself singing it in my head this morning and just can't get it out (some would say that's better than the Amy Grant song I couldn't shut up about) So, I encourage you to read the lyrics below and even make them your song to God as well... let the words saturate your heart and become real to you, as they have to me...


Come, Thou Fount of every blessing, Tune my heart to sing Thy grace;
Streams of mercy, never ceasing, Call for songs of loudest praise.
Teach me some melodious sonnet, Sung by flaming tongues above.
Praise the mount! I’m fixed upon it, Mount of Thy redeeming love.

Here I raise my Ebenezer; Here by Thy great help I’ve come;
And I hope, by Thy good pleasure, Safely to arrive at home.
Jesus sought me when a stranger, Wandering from the fold of God;
He, to rescue me from danger, Interposed His precious blood.

O to grace how great a debtor Daily I’m constrained to be!
Let Thy goodness, like a fetter, Bind my wandering heart to Thee.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it, Prone to leave the God I love;
Here’s my heart, O take and seal it, Seal it for Thy courts above.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jonathan, sweet song, thanks for posting.

Just thought I would stop by and say "hey" :) When I saw a comment a while back from a guy named "Jonathan" on our site, I was wondering which one...(there's like a million and two Jonathan's out there). So anyway! Nice to see that it's you. Thanks for the comment. We of course, love comments! :)

garmancj@comcast.net said...

JPB,
Nice post. I have found the song a great expression of my heart in worship so many times as well. That's one of the reasons I picked it out for this past sunday.