Saturday, August 2, 2008

It's time for saying good bye...

First off, that title is a reference to a song from the greatest movie of all times... the Muppets take Manhattan... now let me tell you the story... I fear that it is time for me to part with one of my favorite possessions... I have had since 1986. Not only is it a "possession" but it has been a comfort that I have had a 22 year attachment to... I'm talking about my pillow...yeah the one I sleep with. It this was given to me by my Nana when I was 4 and I have slept with it everyday since... that's roughly 8,030 nights of bliss... however, I think it's time to lay it to rest (no pun intended)... this pillow has been everywhere I have... Be that staying the night at a friends house for the first time as a kid, my honeymoon, basic training (I had to hide it behind the three drawers in my wall locker), I had it in the field in the army, and when i traveled at my last assignment, it was a first item packed. this pillow has served me well for 22 years, I have an attachment to it as it reminds me of my childhood. To give you a little insight, this thing is ragged.... it probably has 1/4 of the feathers left in it, it has been ripped several times, to which I gladly stitched the wounds, it has more scars than Frankenstein. It got so bad that i had to "double bag" it with two pillow cases, then a third for good measure... this morning when i adjusted my pillow, she gave way to the 22 years of abuse and tore completely in two... I contemplated collecting the feathers back up and attempting to "put humpty back together again" but it's like the dog dying with cancer, just put the thing down... you are just delaying the inevitable... so here's to you my trusty friend, there will be no replacement for you, you are to me as the meteor was to Joe dirt... you will be missed... (for all you readers, I am dead serious)

3 comments:

jenna sais quann said...

RIP faithful pillow...

Pelt Family said...

I hope you can somehow find a good nights sleep.

Annie B. said...

Sounds like a burke version of kitty ashley.....I like the John McCain allusion....