Friday, August 8, 2008

Social Experiment

We all know that I'm a little "un-couth"... or at least I have been told that... So, you shouldn't be surprised to find out the other day, as I was leaving work (Pentagon), I put my sunglasses on and braced myself to the wall and proceeded to act as if I was blind. I walked down the hallway, blankly staring ahead, I "Struggled" to read the Braile on the signs, and I observed two things... 1) no one really stopped to help me and 2) people would stare like they never saw a blind person before... terrible. It makes me wonder how the blind man that Jesus healed must have felt and what an utter joy it was for him to recieve sight. People realize what they don't have, but want... and people also don't realize what they have... I said all that to say this, if you can afford to help someone, do it...

3 comments:

The Long Famil said...

Very interesting. The Long's appreciate your uncouthness. I have often thought of performing the same experiment...only to lack the chutzpah.

Anonymous said...

That's so interesting that you would do that! Makes me want to try that sometime. I would have to make sure my sunglasses were really dark though, because if anyone DID come to help me, they would figure me out real quick....

Good reminder to be alert to others needs, though. Good stuff.
(oh, and nice to "meet" you last night at the Quanns... ;)

Pelt Family said...

Kind of like when the runway model puts on the fat suit or when C. Thomas Howell turned black to get into Harvard.