Wednesday, July 9, 2008

First night of being alone... in a while (the second of my serious posts)

So, on Wednesdays, I get to spend a little time with Sydney, not much, only about two and half hours. I was so excited all day to get the little girl who I can see such a hope in, the only girl my heart beats for. She had been out all day with her Mom who watches children and she was sleeping when I picked her up... she usually is. but tonight was different, she slept for two hours and ten minutes leaving me only twenty minutes to spend with her. Most of you know that Shauna and I have an awkward relationship nowadays, so it's hard to explain things without becoming emotionally upset. I have been running at a hundred miles an hour ever since we separated, occupying my time with this or that, avoiding being alone (if you haven't guessed, I hate that). But this time there was nothing I could do. I wasn't about to wake her up so I could selfishly spend the time with her (although it crossed my mind). When Shauna pulled up, my heart sank. I knew I was gonna have to send Sydney home with her, and I would be left home, friendless, and void of the joy that being a father can only bring. I called some people, but they all have their own lives, and keeping me company is not their job, although it has been appreciated. After Shauna left, I was faced with the fact that I was gonna be here alone for the night and I couldn't stand it. I got in the car and headed down to one of my favorite places in Fredericksburg, The Blarney Stone (quick plug, If you like Irish food, that's the JAM!) but the whole ride down there, saddened me. Everywhere I looked, I saw droves of families and couples who were enjoying the city and each other. I couldn't help but feel a little empty. Upon getting to The Stone (as all the Irish in the burg call it) I saw an older man there, who's name I won't mention, and my heart went out for him. When I was frequenting The Stone, he was a regular patron. You could set your watch by his arrival and departure. I quickly pulled up a chair to sit down with this forgotten acquaintance and tried to get re-aquainted with him. This poor guy is really alone... he is in his late seventies and has no one to talk too. His weathered face shone with delight that I not only remembered his name, but took an interest to sit and talk with him... Most of the talk was small, John McCain and Barack Obama, the city of Fredericksburg, my Irish heritage, but as the end of the night drew near, he stood up and said something that made my heart bleed for him... "Well, I guess I'll go home, even if there is no one there, I'll bet you have lots of friends." A hopeless expression drew across his wrinkled face, as he stood up and scratched the barren top of his head that used to be adorned with thick black hair, just like mine. I pondered, "that poor old man, he is really lonely" and it made me think of how many people pass him by, day in and day out, with not so much as a passing glance. He pulled out his worn through wallet, holding only a few wrinkled bills and an old driver's license and began to pay for his debt, I told him that it would be my honor to pay for him. He argued that he wasn't sure when he'd see me again, and he didn't know how he would repay the favor... I told him that it wasn't even enough to make an out of state phone call and as far as repayment, there was none. For the first time since I met this gentleman, his listless eyes had a glimpse of hope. He was overjoyed at the friendship offered and took it gladly. I said all that to say this... So often in life we take for granted the things in which God has blessed us with. some might conceed that they do in fact take the "little things" in life for granted, but I contend that we take the "big things" in life for granted as well. Family, children, spouses, jobs, cars, houses, great friends, and the list goes on. I saw a man today, who had none of those, hopeless and alone, and yet he was happy just for the time I offered him... If you have read this, please take time to call your friend, brother, sister, cousin, aunt, uncle, mom, dad, children, or spouse and let them know, with as much sincerity as you can muster, that you love and appreciate them. One kind act may not change the world, but it can be the world to someone.

2 comments:

Pelt Family said...

Dude I wish you would have come over to the house for Super Supper Club.

jenna sais quann said...

Jonathan, this is really good.

I've been amazed lately with how we try to fill up emptiness with all the same things that created it; trying to get what we need from people, rather than waiting on God and GIVING to other people, like you gave to this man. Thank God.